Skip to main content

My mind is full of projects and new things

My mind is full of projects and new things I want to do, do, do!
People tell me: SC, if you're feeling stressed out, cut out all the extraneous projects you take on.

Don't they understand, it's the extraneous projects -- the bug bios and home-crafted spinosaurus costume and lava mountain dinosaur cake (for my favorite dinosaur lover) and socio-economic policy Facebook posts and upcycled furniture and small business craft fairs and Art Deco photoshopping and (way) deep(er than necessary)-dive research into corporate tax policy and home-designed and -sewn mommy-daughter matching swimsuits and homemade Christmas stockings and psychology reading and elaborate, realistic Halloween decorations and... -- that I enjoy?
It's the inescapably necessary things like hair-washing and house-keeping and bread-winning that stress me out. It's the things that can't be cut out, and are never ever finished no matter how hard I work, but just repeat over and over again... like sitting in the same Whip meeting week after week listening to the same cast of characters talk about the same messaging around the same bills or cleaning up the same crusty cottage cheese-and-chips and Cheerios-and-milk spills on the same counters, washing the same socks ... that I hate.

So which is better? Overstretched and stressed or bored and stressed?

Sometimes I think about stress like molecules of oxygen in a room. There's a finite upper limit to how many molecules you can squeeze in before the windows blow out and a finite lower limit beyond which the oxygen is undetectable. But within those two extremes, they'll still expand to fill the whole room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Two Religions Tell Us About the Modern Dating Crisis - TIME

This article is so interesting to me, and seems to touch on so many different aspects of our current culture, both secular and non. I have no objection to cosmetic surgery. I've had both lasik eye surgery and liposuction over the years -- the former an equal measure of laziness and vanity, the latter pure vanity. I'd hated that little spare tire since I was 6 years old and so one day I had it delightfully sucked right out of me! But the stories over the years about the enormous amount of plastic surgery -- particularly breast augmentations -- performed in Utah have been eye-catching (not the least of which because the Church frowns so heavily on other much-less-invasive violations of the body-is-a-temple principle, like tattoos and multiple ear-piercings in an earlobe). When we were still friends, the husband of my old roommate continually pushed her to get a 'boob job' because everyone else in their ward had gotten one and he wanted her to have bigger breasts....

Dear Jeff: Part One

A response in two parts.  Part One.  There is a Republican equivalent of Hillary Clinton and it’s not Donald Trump. It’s Mitt Romney.  Most of what shapes your opinion of Clinton isn’t true. Rather, it’s truthy , and the direct result of a 30-year-long smear campaign, very little of which has ever turned out to be true. It’s the way that many Democrats still think George W. Bush went AWOL during Vietnam even though the documents alleging it were almost immediately debunked and the way some liberals think Romney paid $0 in federal taxes because Harry Reid said so. Accusations get a lot of coverage, particularly in partisan media; debunking gets almost none. T his is what I do for a living, so I end up hav ing to read everything. I don’t design jet engines or treat patients or program software or fill cavities five days a week. I do this.* I like to joke that I read more National Review and American Spectator in any given week than most of my Republican ...

Policing Facebook

My husband says I’m a contrarian who disagrees just to disagree. To which I say, “No, I’m not. You’re wrong!” A friend shared this blog column on Facebook and I basically disagreed with every word. First and foremost — and viscerally — I disagree with policing what other people post on Facebook and shaming them for failing to follow someone else’s arbitrary standard. It’s an authoritarian impulse that I understand — dear Lord if I could prevent all sports-related posts, I would! I would! — but let's call it what it is and not cloak it in some kind of moral high ground. We can have our personal pet peeves without dressing them up as proof of society's decline.   And to be clear, these are arbitrary standards we're talking about. I’ve written before about the social media conundrum that if you only post positive things about your life and happy-smiling pictures, you’re criticized for image-branding. But if you post honest comments about depression or divo...